OnePlus has been teasing us for a very long time now but tomorrow is going to be the big day when the new OnePlus 5 will be unveiled worldwide. Let’s summarise everything that we know so far. Some details may be missing and some be incorrect at the time being, so take a few details with a pinch of salt.
- The new OnePlus 5 device will be equipped with Qualcomm’s latest Snapdragon 835 chipset and will have 6 and 8GB RAM options.
- 6GB RAM option will likely have 64GB of in-built storage while the 8GB version is expected to come with 128GB.
- There will be 3 colour options to choose from: Slate Grey, Soft Gold and Deep Black (though this will be exclusive for the 128GB model only apparently)
- Android version 7.1.1 on top of OnePlus’ custom ROM
- Non-removable 4000mAh battery
- NFC will likely be in the device and is expected to be placed on the back
- The Dual camera on the back is expected to be a pair of 16MP f/1.7 camera and 20MP f/2.6 with a single LED flash. Feature wise, it should be similar to iPhone 7Plus in terms of compatibilities such as portrait mode, zoom etc.
- The Fingerprint sensor will be placed underneath the display on the front
- As before, no SD card slot is expected to be on-board
- It will be launched in India with it’s own unique event on the 22 June 4:30PM. 6GB/64GB should cost INR 32,999 while 8GB/128GB should be sold for 37,999. It’ll be Amazon exclusive. This translates into $512 and $589 US dollars or £400, £460 in the UK.
- The 3.5mm headphone jack will likely remain
What isn’t confirmed:
- IP water and dust resistance isn’t confirmed but it’s likely to have it
- 256GB version with 8GB RAM isn’t yet confirmed, but we might see a larger storage version being debuted tomorrow as an exclusive. It might only be available in certain markets where demand is high so we might not see it in Europe or in North America.
- We expect to see a Gorilla Glass 5 on the front display
- The front camera is an 8MP shooter with no OIS, it’ll be able to record in 1080p.
- Bluetooth 5.0 should also be on board along with USB-C port on the bottom
- Looking at the rumors, it’s confirmed that we are going to be seeing a 5.5″ Optic Amoled display as last year, however the resolution isn’t yet confirmed. Assuming OnePlus opts for the cheaper, lower resolution, we assume it’ll be 1080×1920 at ~400 ppi.
Image courtesy of GSMArena.com (Source below)
That’s all for now, we are sure to bring you our thoughts about the OnePlus 5 tomorrow after its launch event.
Stay tuned for more updates and leaks on social media!
TheVerge has already revealed the design and what’s surprising, the video below also confirms all of the design ideas and prototypes that were leaked in the past few months.
What are your thoughts about the design and the price?